Shutterstock

14 Million Children Received No Vaccines in 2024: United Nations

Thomas Smith
4 Min Read

Approximately 14.3 million children received no vaccines at all in 2024, according to new data released by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the World Health Organization (WHO) on July 15. These “zero-dose” children represent a troubling setback in global immunization efforts, with the number 1.4 million higher than in 2019, the baseline year for progress tracking.

While the 2024 figure shows little change from the previous year’s 14.5 million, it still exceeds the annual target by 4 million to remain on pace with the Immunization Agenda 2030—a global strategy aimed at expanding vaccine access and preventing disease worldwide.

Small Gains, But Millions Remain Unprotected

Despite the stagnation in zero-dose numbers, there were modest improvements in overall vaccine coverage. The percentage of infants worldwide who received at least one dose of the diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (DTP) vaccine rose to 89%, an increase of 171,000 children from 2023. There were also more children immunized with the measles and human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines.

“The good news is that we’ve reached more children with life-saving vaccines,” said UNICEF Executive Director Catherine Russell in a statement. “But millions still lack protection from preventable diseases, and that should concern us all.”

WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus emphasized the need for local solutions and stronger domestic investments to close the gaps: “We remain committed to working with partners and countries to ensure all children benefit from the life-saving power of vaccines.”

Uneven Progress in the United States

According to WHO and UNICEF estimates, 98% of U.S. infants received at least one dose of the DTP vaccine in 2024, matching the rates from 2022 and 2023. However, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported a decline in other routine vaccine coverage. Notably, measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccination dropped from 95.2% in 2019–2020 to 92.7% in 2023 and 2024.

That drop comes amid a rise in measles cases, which recently hit their highest annual total in the U.S. since 1992. Still, Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said Monday that the outbreaks are subsiding and stressed that no national emergency has been declared. He also acknowledged that some families may opt out of vaccination due to religious or personal beliefs.

In contrast, the American Academy of Pediatrics and several other U.S. health groups issued a joint statement reaffirming that “vaccines are safe, effective, and save lives. Attempts to discredit them allow deadly diseases to return.”

Vaccine Politics and Global Funding Tensions

Earlier this year, Kennedy announced that the U.S. would halt funding to Gavi, the global vaccine alliance that works with the UN to expand access to vaccines. The move followed concerns about the group’s transparency and responsiveness to safety issues. President Donald Trump also directed the U.S. withdrawal from WHO.

In response, UNICEF and WHO on Tuesday urged governments and donors to boost support for Gavi, particularly to help vaccinate children in low-income countries and maintain global health security. They also called for increased efforts to counter vaccine misinformation and improve immunization outreach in hard-to-reach communities.

While vaccination rates are rebounding in some areas after pandemic-era disruptions, global immunization remains uneven, and millions of children continue to be left behind. Without renewed commitment and investment, health officials warn, the world risks losing hard-won progress against some of the most dangerous childhood diseases.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *