At least two people were killed and more than a dozen others were injured during a shooting Wednesday morning at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis, according to multiple sources who spoke with ABC News.
Officials confirmed the shooter is “contained” and said there is “no active threat to the community.” The suspect is believed to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, sources told ABC News.
The school serves students from pre-K through eighth grade. Witnesses reported seeing young children in uniform leaving the building hand-in-hand with their parents.
“I’m praying for our kids and teachers whose first week of school was marred by this horrific act of violence,” Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz wrote on social media.
Nearby residents described the chaos. Brian Leege, who lives two blocks away, said he was having breakfast with his daughter when he heard dozens of gunshots over the course of two to three minutes.
Emily Feste told Minneapolis ABC affiliate KSTP that her husband, a firefighter, rushed to the school after hearing their niece and nephew were inside. “We heard about 15 minutes ago that they’re safe. But it’s so awful and it’s so scary,” she said.
Walz confirmed that state authorities are at the scene, with federal agents from the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also responding.
President Donald Trump said on Truth Social that he had been “fully briefed on the tragic shooting.” He added, “The White House will continue to monitor this terrible situation. Please join me in praying for everyone involved!”
Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem also issued a statement, saying, “I am praying for the victims of this heinous attack and their families.”
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.