Key Largo, Florida. Credit : CBS Miami/Youtube

8-Year-Old Boy Bitten by Shark in Florida Is in ‘Good Spirits’ After Being Saved by His 10-Year-Old Sister, Says Family

Thomas Smith
4 Min Read

An 8-year-old boy who was bitten by a shark in Florida is “recovering well,” his family confirmed.

PEOPLE previously reported that the child was bitten off the coast of Key Largo at around 3:24 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 1.

The boy, identified as Richard Burrows, is said to be recovering well and in “good spirits,” according to a statement from his family, ABC News, and Local.10.com reported.

His family said Richard, his 10-year-old sister Rose, and their father David Burrows, 48, were “snorkeling in Key Largo, at approximately 3:00 p.m. on Monday, September 1, when a blacktip shark rushed the trio and bit Richard on his right knee.”

“The initial injury inflicted on Richard was significant, but thanks to the help of a number of people, it was contained,” they added.

PEOPLE has contacted the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office and Key Largo Fire Department for further comment but did not immediately hear back.

“Richard’s 10-year-old sister, Rose, was instrumental in her brother’s rescue, and both of her parents are immensely proud of the strength of character and composure she demonstrated under pressure,” the family said, per the outlets.

Firefighters told Local.10.com that Rose helped control her brother’s bleeding by applying pressure to a tourniquet.

“The sister of the patient was actually holding his leg, helping control the bleeding when we got onboard,” firefighter Travis Wilson said.

A man named Richard Hayden also helped guide the boy’s boat to shore after hearing calls for help through a radio, according to ABC News. Hayden also assisted in applying pressure to Burrows’ leg.

Blacktop Reef Shark. Getty

“Richard is recovering well from his surgery and is gaining strength by the day. He is in good spirits,” the family’s statement continued. “Our hope is that he will be back enjoying his passion for the ocean and marine life with his older sister in no time.”

They added, “The Burrows family sincerely appreciates and thanks everyone for their messages of support, well wishes, and assistance over the past days. We now request some privacy for the family to focus solely on Richard’s recovery and will not be commenting further.”

On Monday, Sept. 1, the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office wrote in a Facebook post that the boy was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami following the incident.

“An 8-year-old male was reportedly snorkeling when he was bitten by a shark at approximately 3:24 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 1, 2025, off Key Largo, Florida on the oceanside,” the post read in part. “The U.S. Coast Guard and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission were notified of the incident.”

Officials said the child was “pale” and had suffered a “significant amount of blood loss,” according to emergency dispatch audio obtained by 7 News Miami.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *