Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi issued a scathing response Sunday following U.S. airstrikes on three major Iranian nuclear sites, authorized by President Donald Trump. Calling the attacks an “egregious act of aggression,” Araghchi warned of “everlasting, dangerous, and far-reaching consequences.”
Speaking at the 51st session of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation in Istanbul and through posts online, Araghchi directly blamed Washington and called for an emergency meeting of the U.N. Security Council.
“The warmongering and lawless administration in Washington is solely and fully responsible for the dangerous consequences of this aggression,” Araghchi said. “This was a blatant violation of Iran’s sovereignty and the U.N. Charter, carried out in coordination with the genocidal Israeli regime.”
He also warned that global silence on the matter could bring about “unprecedented danger and chaos.”
Iran’s President Condemns U.S., Calls for Unity
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian echoed Araghchi’s condemnation, labeling the U.S. as “the main instigator” of regional instability.
“This attack proves that the United States is the driving force behind the Zionist regime’s aggression,” Pezeshkian said, urging Iranians to stand united against foreign hostility.
The president also criticized the U.S. for denying involvement in previous Israeli-led strikes, saying that Washington’s direct participation in the latest attack reveals its true intentions.
A Shattered Nuclear Dialogue
Prior to the escalation, Iran and the U.S. were engaged in stalled talks over a potential nuclear agreement. Those talks are now on hold indefinitely. Araghchi said diplomacy is off the table after what he called a severe breach of trust.
“They crossed a major red line by attacking nuclear facilities,” he said. “We reserve all options in self-defense, as allowed under the U.N. Charter.”
U.S. Strikes: What Happened?
The U.S. launched a coordinated assault using B-2 stealth bombers to hit nuclear sites in Fordow, Natanz, and Esfahan. President Trump called the operation a “spectacular military success.”
“A full payload of bombs was dropped on Fordow. All aircraft returned safely. Congratulations to our great American warriors,” Trump posted on social media. “Now is the time for peace.”
In a Saturday night address from the White House, Trump, flanked by Vice President J.D. Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, claimed the mission “obliterated” the nuclear facilities and urged Iran not to retaliate.
“Any retaliation by Iran will be met with force far greater than what was witnessed tonight,” Trump warned.
U.S. Officials Speak Out
At a Pentagon briefing Sunday, Secretary Hegseth and Gen. Dan Caine, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, addressed the strike’s aftermath.
Hegseth expressed optimism that the Fordow facility had been effectively destroyed, while Gen. Caine cautioned it was still too early to determine if Iran retained any nuclear capability.
Both emphasized that U.S. forces in the Middle East were on high alert and that additional protective measures were being implemented.
Rising Tensions in the Region
The strikes mark a major escalation in the ongoing conflict between Iran and Israel. What began as support for Israel has now evolved into active U.S. military involvement.
In retaliation, Iran reportedly launched a new barrage of missiles toward Israel on Sunday. The conflict, now entering its second week, shows no sign of slowing.
Meanwhile, Iran continues to seek global condemnation of the U.S. strikes and is urging international allies to respond diplomatically—and possibly militarily—to what it views as a dangerous provocation.
As the international community braces for Iran’s next move, the risk of a broader conflict looms large.