President Donald Trump’s push to send $2,000 payments to American households, funded through tariff revenue, is facing significant opposition from senior Republican lawmakers.
Speaking at a U.S.-Saudi Investment Forum in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, Trump said, “We’re going to be doing a dividend—low- and middle-income people—of at least $2,000,” insisting the plan will move forward despite concerns within his own party.
The clash highlights growing tensions between the White House and the Republican-controlled Congress and suggests Trump’s influence on Capitol Hill may be waning.
Why It Matters
The proposed stimulus checks have become a flashpoint in debates over the cost of living, the federal deficit and the reach of executive power during an election cycle dominated by economic worries. While lawmakers are insisting on congressional approval, the White House has signaled it is exploring ways to roll out the plan without a new act of Congress.
How the proposal is received on the Hill—and whether it passes legal scrutiny—could affect millions of Americans and shape the political landscape ahead of the midterm elections.
What To Know
On November 9, Trump wrote on Truth Social that “a dividend of at least $2000 a person (not including high-income people!) will be paid to everyone,” saying the money would come from tariff revenue generated by his administration’s expanded trade measures.
He claimed that tariffs had brought in “trillions of dollars” and argued they had strengthened the nation’s finances and resilience.
Senior Republicans in the Senate, however, have rejected the idea, arguing that any extra revenue should go toward narrowing the deficit, not direct payouts.
“I think it would be crazy to send money to people while we have a deficit,” Republican Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky said on Tuesday.
House Budget Committee Chair Jodey Arrington said he told Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent in a Wednesday meeting that he preferred using tariff revenue to reduce the deficit rather than fund what he described as government handouts.
Trump’s initial announcement left key details unresolved, including eligibility criteria, how payments would be delivered and when the money might arrive.
White House officials later suggested that the benefit might instead take the form of tax relief or credits, referring to provisions such as breaks on tips, overtime, Social Security and auto loans included in earlier legislation.
Bessent told ABC News, “It could be just the tax decreases that we are seeing on the president’s agenda,” while noting he had not discussed direct checks with Trump.
Analysis from the Tax Foundation estimates that the federal government has collected about $120 billion in tariff revenue so far, while providing $2,000 checks to 150 million Americans could cost close to $300 billion.
Erica York, the think tank’s vice president of federal tax policy, has argued that current tariff revenue falls far short of what would be needed and has called for more clarity and efficiency in how the plan would work.
Forecasts from the Treasury Department indicate that raising enough tariff revenue to fully cover such payments could take years.
Lawmakers also pointed out that extra tariff income had already been slated to help reduce the deficit and offset tax cuts.
Meanwhile, legal uncertainty hangs over the proposal as the Supreme Court weighs how far a president can go in imposing tariffs under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act—a decision that could affect future tariff revenue and how it can be used.
What People Are Saying
Republican Senator Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia, a member of Senate leadership, told Axios: “I think it would be good to use the tariff revenues to pay down the debt and the deficit.”
Senate Majority Leader John Thune, a Republican from South Dakota, told reporters: “I think the amount of money coming in from the tariffs is considered to be substantial at this point and hopefully can be put to a useful purpose. Again, in my view, one of which would be repaying the debt.”
Republican Senator Bernie Moreno of Ohio echoed that view, saying: “I think we should pay down the deficit.”
Republican Senator John Kennedy of Louisiana stressed that Congress must be involved, saying: “I think it’s got to come through Congress.”
Republican Senator Kevin Cramer of North Dakota was skeptical of the proposed dividend, saying: “I’m not nuts for it.”
He added that while “lower-income Americans deserve a break,” the plan could add to inflationary pressures.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told ABC News: “It could be just the tax decreases that we are seeing on the president’s agenda. No tax on tips, no tax on overtime, no tax on Social Security, deductibility on auto loans. Those are substantial deductions that are being financed in the tax bill.”
What Happens Next
The initiative faces steep political and fiscal obstacles. Strong resistance from Senate Republicans and concerns over the deficit make passage through Congress unlikely for now.
Absent explicit congressional approval, administration officials have yet to outline a clear legal route for sending out checks.
The Supreme Court’s forthcoming ruling on presidential tariff authority could further limit the executive branch’s ability to impose new tariffs and redirect the revenue, complicating the $2,000 dividend concept even more.
For now, the White House has not provided firm answers on who would receive the payments, how they would be delivered or precisely how they would be funded.