A newly released memo from the Department of Justice and the FBI, ordered under President Donald Trump’s administration, has concluded that Jeffrey Epstein did not maintain a so-called “client list” for blackmail, and that there is no evidence the convicted sex offender was murdered in jail. The report, reviewed by Axios, also confirmed Epstein’s 2019 death was the result of suicide—refuting years of public speculation and conspiracy theories.
The memo, the product of a high-level internal review, stated that no new charges would be brought against others in connection with the Epstein case. His longtime associate, Ghislaine Maxwell, is currently serving a 20-year sentence for her role in child sex trafficking.
Trump’s Past Ties to Epstein Still Fuel Questions
Despite the findings, questions about Donald Trump’s past relationship with Epstein have continued to stir controversy. In the 1990s, the two were acquaintances and reportedly attended the same parties as neighbors in Florida. Epstein once described Trump as “his closest friend” in a 2017 interview, though Trump later distanced himself, saying in 2019 he hadn’t spoken to Epstein in 15 years and had banned him from his golf clubs in the early 2000s.
Tensions were recently reignited when tech mogul Elon Musk publicly accused Trump of ties to Epstein in a now-deleted social media post. The post was later retracted, with Musk admitting he “went too far.”
Trump-Era Probe Disputes Longstanding Theories
The new memo comes alongside the Trump administration’s plan to publicly release surveillance footage—both raw and enhanced—that it says shows no unauthorized entry into Epstein’s cell block the night of his death.
Epstein was found hanging in his Manhattan jail cell on August 10, 2019, while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges. CPR was attempted, and he was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital that morning. The memo states that enhanced video from 10:40 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. shows no individual entering Epstein’s secure area, supporting the conclusion of suicide made by the medical examiner.
According to the memo, the FBI improved the footage for clarity by enhancing contrast, color balance, and sharpness. The video has not been independently verified, but Axios reported that it shows no activity in or near Epstein’s cell.
MAGA Figures Previously Pushed Conspiracies
The DOJ’s findings challenge some of the very conspiracy theories amplified by high-profile Trump allies, including FBI Director Kash Patel and his deputy Dan Bongino—both MAGA-aligned appointees with large social media followings. Both men had previously questioned the official version of Epstein’s death.
Speculation around Epstein’s connections to elites—including politicians, celebrities, and CEOs—has persisted for years, especially in conservative and online circles, where many have suggested that his death was a cover-up to protect powerful people.
No Client List, No New Charges
The memo firmly stated there was no credible evidence that Epstein blackmailed anyone or kept a “client list” of influential figures involved in sex crimes.
“There is no incriminating ‘client list,’ no credible evidence of blackmail, and no basis for further investigation into uncharged third parties,” the document said.
The DOJ also made clear that further disclosure of Epstein-related files would not happen, citing the sensitive and graphic nature of the material, which largely involves abuse victims and information that could wrongly implicate innocent individuals.
“Much of the material concerns child sexual abuse and cannot be released without violating privacy laws or endangering victims,” the memo said.
Final Word?
For now, the DOJ and FBI say the Epstein case is closed.
“No further disclosures are warranted or appropriate,” the memo concluded, effectively shutting the door on additional public releases of confidential Epstein records.
Still, questions about Trump’s past interactions with Epstein—and the broader political implications—are unlikely to fade anytime soon.