FBI Director Kash Patel is calling out what he describes as one of Minnesota’s most egregious fraud cases, involving the theft of over $250 million from a pandemic-era child nutrition program.
In a statement to Fox News, Patel said the scheme — known as the “Feeding Our Future” scandal — represents a “shameless” abuse of a federal program intended to feed children during COVID-19 lockdowns. Seventy individuals have been indicted so far, and 38 have already pleaded guilty.
“Stealing over $250 million from hungry kids during a pandemic to fund mansions and luxury cars is as shameless as it gets,” Patel said. “I’m proud of the FBI and our partners for dismantling this web of corruption and holding dozens accountable. If you exploit the most vulnerable, we will find you and bring you to justice.”
Fake Meals, Real Mansions
The scam revolved around a network of fake meal distribution sites that submitted bogus invoices and forged attendance logs to receive massive reimbursements from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The USDA had relaxed oversight rules during the pandemic, inadvertently opening the door for abuse by non-school-based food distributors.
Investigators say nearly 300 fake “food sites” were set up across Minnesota, many of which provided no meals at all. The individuals behind the scheme allegedly laundered federal funds through shell organizations and used the money to purchase luxury homes, expensive cars, and other personal items.
Ongoing Trials, Legislative Fallout
With over a dozen individuals still awaiting trial — the next set to begin August 11 — the fallout has already sparked calls for reform in the state. FBI officials say the investigation is ongoing and anticipate additional charges in the coming months.
“The egregious fraud unveiled in the Feeding Our Future case epitomizes a profound betrayal of public trust,” said Alvin Winston, the FBI’s special agent in charge. “These individuals redirected funds meant to feed children into extravagant lifestyles while families faced hardship.”
Winston added, “We will continue to expose their schemes, dismantle their networks, and ensure justice is served.”
The case is being prosecuted by U.S. Attorney Andrew Luger’s office, which has called it one of the largest COVID-related fraud schemes in the country.