PHOTO: Kilmar Abrego Garcia, leaves the Putnam County Jail, Aug. 22, 2025, in Cookeville, Tenn.

Abrego Garcia Pressured to Plead Guilty or Face Deportation to Uganda, Attorneys Claim

Thomas Smith
3 Min Read

The federal government is pressuring Kilmar Abrego Garcia to accept a guilty plea or risk deportation to Uganda, according to a legal filing submitted by his attorneys on Saturday.

Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran man who was mistakenly deported in March before being returned to the U.S. to face human smuggling charges, was released from custody in Tennessee on Friday and transferred back to Maryland.

His attorneys say that after he refused a deal — deportation to Costa Rica in exchange for staying in jail and pleading guilty — U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement informed them he could instead be deported to Uganda. ICE also ordered him to report to its Baltimore field office on Monday.

According to the filing, the government previously offered that if Abrego Garcia extended his stay and pleaded guilty to both charges, he would be deported to Costa Rica.

ABC News reported that Costa Rica told the U.S. embassy Thursday it would accept Abrego Garcia “upon the conclusion of any criminal sentence he may serve in the U.S.”

But after his release, attorneys said the government reacted angrily.

“Despite assurances from Costa Rica that Mr. Abrego would be accepted there, within minutes of his release from pretrial custody, an ICE representative informed counsel that the government intended to deport him to Uganda and ordered him to report to ICE’s Baltimore Field Office,” the filing stated.

His attorneys added that DHS gave him until Monday morning to accept a plea deal tied to deportation to Costa Rica, warning that otherwise “the offer will be off the table forever.”

“There can be only one interpretation: the DOJ, DHS, and ICE are using their powers to force Mr. Abrego to choose between a guilty plea followed by relative safety, or deportation to Uganda, where his safety and liberty would be under threat,” his attorneys argued.

In a statement to ABC News, a Justice Department spokesperson said:
“A federal grand jury has charged Abrego Garcia with serious federal crimes including human trafficking and smuggling offenses, underscoring the clear danger this defendant presents to the community. This defendant can plead guilty and accept responsibility or stand trial before a jury. Either way, we will hold Abrego Garcia accountable and protect the American people.”

The Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem criticized the release, saying, “Today, we reached a new low with this publicity hungry Maryland judge mandating this illegal alien who is a MS-13 gang member, human trafficker, serial domestic abuser, and child predator be allowed free.”

Abrego Garcia’s trial on human smuggling charges is scheduled to begin on Jan. 27, 2027.


Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *