‘Absolutely’: Trump says would bomb Iran again if nuclear activities start

Thomas Smith
4 Min Read

Donald Trump accused the Iranian leader of ingratitude after Khamenei said in a defiant message that reports of damage to nuclear facilities were exaggerated.

President Donald Trump claimed Friday that he spared Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei from assassination and warned that the U.S. would launch further attacks if Iran pursued nuclear weapons.

In a fiery series of posts on Truth Social, Trump lashed out at Khamenei for what he called a lack of gratitude, saying he had personally blocked an attempt by U.S. or Israeli forces to kill the Iranian leader during the recent conflict. “I SAVED HIM FROM A VERY UGLY AND IGNOMINIOUS DEATH,” Trump wrote, adding, “and he does not have to say, ‘THANK YOU, PRESIDENT TRUMP!’”

The outburst followed Iran’s rejection of Trump’s claim that nuclear talks between the two countries would resume next week. Iran denied any such negotiations were planned, even as it prepared to hold a massive state funeral for dozens of senior officials and scientists killed during Israel’s 12-day bombing campaign that began on June 13.

According to Iranian authorities, 60 nuclear scientists and top military commanders were killed, among at least 627 civilians overall. Tehran has accused both Israel and the U.S. of orchestrating the attacks.

Trump insisted that if intelligence showed Iran was enriching uranium to weapons-grade levels, the U.S. would strike again “without question.” Iran continues to deny that it is pursuing nuclear weapons.

Trump also said he had been considering lifting sanctions — a major demand from Tehran — but dropped the idea after Khamenei dismissed reports of damage to Iran’s nuclear infrastructure and claimed Iran had “slapped” the U.S. in return.

“I was working on sanction relief — then comes a message full of anger, hatred, and lies,” Trump said. “So, I stopped. Iran needs to come back to the table.”

Iran Pushes Back

Iran’s Foreign Ministry rejected a request from International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) head Rafael Grossi to inspect bombed nuclear facilities, calling it evidence of “malicious intent.” Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi accused Grossi of betraying his responsibilities for failing to condemn the bombings.

Meanwhile, speculation over Ayatollah Khamenei’s condition was put to rest Thursday after he appeared on state TV, delivering a defiant speech calling Iran’s survival a “victory” and accusing Trump of exaggerating the conflict for political gain.

Fragile Ceasefire, National Mourning

A tenuous ceasefire between Israel and Iran is still in place. On Saturday, Iran will hold a state funeral in Tehran for those killed in the Israeli strikes. Among the dead are Revolutionary Guard Commander Hossein Salami and Armed Forces Chief of Staff General Mohammad Bagheri, who died alongside his wife and daughter in an Israeli airstrike.

A total of 60 people will be buried, including four women and four children, in what officials are calling a historic day for the Islamic Republic. The ceremonies will begin at 8:00 a.m. in Enghelab Square and conclude at Azadi Square, covering a large portion of Tehran.

The Israeli strikes hit several residential neighborhoods in Tehran, marking the first major bombardment of the capital since the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s. Iran’s retaliatory attacks killed 28 people in Israel, according to Israeli government figures.

As tensions simmer and both sides count their losses, Trump’s rhetoric — and Iran’s mourning — underline the dangerous instability in a region still reeling from one of its most intense flashpoints in recent memory.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *