The father of 18-year-old Anna Kepner is speaking publicly about his 16-year-old stepson, who — according to court documents from an unrelated custody case — may be under investigation in connection with Anna’s death.
Christopher Kepner, 41, says he last saw his daughter on the evening of Nov. 6, when the family had dinner together aboard the Carnival Horizon.
The next day, a housekeeper discovered Anna’s body under a bed on the ship, Christopher says. Her death certificate states that she was “mechanically asphyxiated by other person(s).”
Shortly after the FBI opened an investigation, Christopher’s wife — Anna’s stepmother — stated in separate court filings that her 16-year-old son could be the subject of a criminal investigation.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(662x836:664x838):format(webp)/anna-kepner-3-111025-03-75e10942a72e4b5daeaa9176827cdb19.jpg)
The FBI has not publicly identified any suspect or person of interest.
Christopher declines to directly address what he knows about his stepson’s potential role, but says, “I do not stand behind what my stepson has done.”
“I want him to face the consequences,” he continues. “I will be fighting to make sure that does happen.”
Asked whether he believes his stepson is responsible for Anna’s death, Christopher responds, “I cannot say that he is responsible but I can’t decline. He was the only one that was in the room and the FBI has an ongoing investigation in which they will have to provide the evidence to say that he did do it or did not do this.”
Describing the boy, Christopher says, “He was a normal kid,” echoing what Anna’s grandparents previously shared in an interview with ABC News.
“And I would’ve never thought that any of this would’ve happened,” he adds.
Anna’s grandmother, Barbara Kepner, told the outlet that Anna and her stepbrother were close, saying they were “just like brother and sister” and calling them “two peas in a pod.”
Authorities have not released further details about the investigation. The FBI has confirmed that it is handling the case but has declined to provide additional comment.
“For now, my best course of action is to let the FBI do what they’re doing,” Christopher says.
“They have the evidence that they need. When they make the arrest, then we’ll start seeing the justice side of things.”