Deadly flooding hit Arizona on Sept. 26. CBS Evening News/YouTube

At Least 4 People Dead, Multiple Missing as ‘Unthinkable’ Flash Floods Hit Arizona

Thomas Smith
3 Min Read

At least four people have died, and dozens more are reported missing following severe flooding in Arizona, authorities said.

After intense rainfall on Friday, Sept. 26, three residents of Globe were found dead amid floodwaters. Mayor Al Gameros described the situation as an “unthinkable, devastating” event in a Facebook post, while local search and rescue efforts were underway.

A fourth fatality was reported in Scottsdale on Saturday morning, CBS News and CNN confirmed, citing Gila County Emergency Services and the Scottsdale Fire Department (SFP). The body was discovered “pinned under a walkway bridge,” near the site where a vehicle had been partially submerged the night before.

Katie Hobbs, Governor of Arizona, declared a state of emergency for Gila County in response to the flooding. She confirmed in a news release that $200,000 in state resources would be deployed to support search and rescue operations and recovery efforts.

“I’m heartbroken by the devastation in Gila County. My thoughts are with the families who have lost loved ones and the residents affected by this disaster,” Gov. Hobbs said.

She added, “…We will continue to work around the clock to ensure communities throughout Gila County that have been impacted by devastating flooding have the support they need.”

The Gila County Public Health & Community Services (GCPHCS) urged residents to avoid flood-hit areas and follow evacuation directives in a news release shared on Facebook.

“Heavy rains overwhelmed waterways in and around Globe, Miami, Claypool, and San Carlos, leading to significant flooding,” GCPHCS said.

Officials also warned of another hazard: “…Nearly 1,000 propane tanks were swept from a distribution facility, creating dangerous conditions, and portions of U.S. 60 remain closed due to debris and flood damage.”

CBS News footage shows vehicles navigating waterlogged streets and some completely submerged in floodwaters.

The National Weather Service’s flash flood warning remains in effect, and search efforts for missing residents continue. CNN reports that the Arizona Department of Transportation is evaluating potential bridge damage in the affected areas.

Red Cross shelters have been established at High Desert and Lee Kornegay, Mayor Al Gameros confirmed on Facebook.

“I urge everyone to be patient with the process as we continue operations,” Gameros said.


Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *