The Nevada Bureau of Land Management has identified the victim of a possible homicide at the Burning Man festival.
In a statement shared on social media on Wednesday, Sept. 3, the NBLM confirmed the man was Vadim Kruglov of Russia. He was 37 years old and lived in Tacoma, Wash.
A Pershing County Sheriff’s Office (PCSO) deputy was alerted on Saturday, Aug. 30, around 9:14 p.m. local time, after finding Kruglov lying in “a pool of blood,” as the festival’s symbolic “Man” wooden effigy began to burn, according to a prior press release from Sheriff Jerry Allen. His body was taken to the Washoe County Medical Examiner’s Office.
The PCSO’s homicide investigation is still ongoing. PEOPLE has reached out to the PCSO for comment. The sheriff’s office and friends of Kruglov are asking anyone who saw him before his death to contact the sheriff’s office at 775-273-2641 or email jnicholson@pershingcountynv.gov.
“We sincerely ask for your help. It is crucial for us to retrace Vadim’s last few days at Burning Man. He was definitely at Mine Warrior, danced inside the pyramid, and may have appeared in video from art cars or spent time with people in the camps,” friend Sofiia Shcherbakova wrote on social media.
In a statement on the alleged murder, Burning Man emphasized that the “safety and well-being of our community are paramount.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(748x331:750x333):format(webp)/Burning-Man-1-083125-1f4e4da9baad478fb59dcc31e0efd85a.jpg)
The festival was held in the Black Rock Desert, where participants build temporary housing called Black Rock City. Burning Man usually hosts about 80,000 attendees each year. This year’s event started on Aug. 24 and ended on Sept. 1.
“Our hearts go out to Vadim’s family and friends, and we grieve the loss of a community member,” Burning Man organizers said in an updated statement, per KCRA. “Burning Man Project is doing everything we can to assist the Sheriff’s investigation so the perpetrator can be caught and brought to justice. This includes our plan for a coordinated donation to the Secret Witness program, which offers rewards for information that helps law enforcement.”
Last year, a woman died at the event after she was found unresponsive on the grounds. Emergency personnel tried to save her, but were unsuccessful, Burning Man said at the time.
“Our thoughts and condolences go out to the family and friends affected by this loss,” the statement added.