Attorneys general say the freeze would be ‘debilitating’ to school-aged children nationwide
More than 20 Democratic state attorneys general announced Monday they are suing the Trump administration over its sudden freeze on $6.8 billion in K–12 education funding, calling the move unconstitutional and a direct threat to public school systems across the country.
The lawsuit, led by California Attorney General Rob Bonta, follows the Department of Education’s June 30 decision to halt the disbursement of federal grants that had already been approved by Congress and were scheduled for release on July 1.
“The Department remains committed to ensuring taxpayer dollars are spent in alignment with the President’s priorities,” the agency said in a brief statement at the time, referring all further questions to the Office of Management and Budget. No official reason for the funding pause has yet been provided.
States Say Freeze Is Already Hurting Schools
On a press call Monday, AGs from California, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Colorado described widespread disruption caused by the funding freeze, including halted hiring processes, canceled contracts, and uncertainty that has left school districts scrambling just weeks before the academic year begins.
“This is unconscionable, unlawful, and it won’t go unchecked,” Bonta said. “It’s already been a devastating blow to essential programs like migrant education, tutoring, and adult literacy.”
Several programs—especially those serving low-income and at-risk students—have already shut down due to lack of funding, while other districts are in budget limbo, unsure how to proceed with staffing and planning.
Legal Challenge Targets Trump’s Authority
The attorneys general argue that the Trump administration’s move violates the U.S. Constitution and the Impoundment Control Act (ICA), which prohibits the executive branch from unilaterally blocking funds that have been legally appropriated by Congress.
“President Trump and Education Secretary Linda McMahon have thrown our schools into chaos just weeks before students return to class,” Bonta said.
Billions in Essential Programs at Risk
The withheld funds include:
- $2 billion for teacher training and professional development
- $1 billion for STEM and academic enrichment
- Hundreds of millions for tutoring, adult literacy, and after-school programs
- Funding for the 21st Century Community Learning Centers, which support roughly 10,000 after-school and summer programs nationwide
Without the funds, AGs warn, school districts could face both immediate and long-term setbacks.
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha compared the situation to a recurring gag from the Peanuts comic strip. “It’s like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown,” he said. “We can’t build effective school budgets when the federal government keeps moving the goalposts.”
Part of a Broader Legal Push
This lawsuit is one of 31 legal challenges filed by Democratic-led states against Trump administration actions since he began his second term. At least eight of those lawsuits have specifically targeted education-related cuts.
As the legal fight begins, Democratic leaders say they expect to win.
“When the federal government breaks the rules, we will take them to court,” Bonta said. “And history shows—we don’t lose these cases.”