Department of Homeland Security

DHS: Two Wisconsin teens would ‘still be alive’ if not for sanctuary policies protecting illegal immigrant

Thomas Smith
4 Min Read

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is placing blame squarely on sanctuary policies after two Wisconsin teenagers were killed in a DUI crash allegedly caused by an illegal immigrant with a prior drunk driving conviction.

Noelia Saray Martinez-Avila, a 30-year-old Honduran national living in the U.S. illegally, is facing multiple felony charges after authorities say she drove the wrong way on I-90 in Dane County, Wisconsin, while intoxicated, slamming head-on into a vehicle carrying 18-year-old Hallie Helgeson and 19-year-old Brady Heiling. Both teens were killed.

“This tragic loss of life was entirely preventable,” said Assistant DHS Secretary Tricia McLaughlin. “Hallie and Brady would still be alive today if not for a sanctuary policy that allowed a criminal illegal alien—previously convicted of drunk driving—to remain in the U.S.”

DHS confirmed that ICE has lodged a detainer request to take custody of Martinez-Avila following her state criminal proceedings and initiate deportation. However, Dane County’s sanctuary policies have a history of refusing to honor such detainers, raising concerns that dangerous individuals are being released back into communities.

“Under Secretary Noem’s leadership, these innocent victims will not be forgotten,” McLaughlin said. “We will pursue justice and ensure this public safety threat is removed from our country.”

The July 20 crash occurred when Martinez-Avila, allegedly intoxicated, drove a Chevrolet Suburban the wrong way on the interstate and collided with a Volkswagen Tiguan carrying the two teens. Helgeson died shortly after the collision. Heiling was airlifted to a nearby hospital but later succumbed to his injuries.

Martinez-Avila now faces numerous charges, including homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle, operating while intoxicated causing injury and death, operating with a revoked license, failure to comply with an ignition interlock requirement, and violating a court order.

She had a previous conviction for drunk driving in 2020 and was ordered to install an ignition interlock device to prevent her from driving under the influence again. Authorities confirmed the device was never installed at the time of the deadly crash.

A judge set Martinez-Avila’s bond at $250,000 per case. If released, conditions include no alcohol, no driving, and no contact with the victims’ families.

“This was not an accident—it was a failure of enforcement,” McLaughlin added. “When local jurisdictions refuse to cooperate with ICE, this is the result: families shattered, lives stolen, and public trust undermined.”

The case has intensified debate over sanctuary policies nationwide, especially as DHS continues to push for cooperation with local jurisdictions to detain and remove illegal immigrants with criminal records.

ICE has reiterated that detainer requests are a vital tool in preventing repeat offenses, particularly in cases where the individual has already demonstrated a threat to public safety.

“This should never have happened,” McLaughlin said. “And we are committed to making sure it never happens again.”

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *