DOJ Sues Minnesota Over In-State Tuition for Undocumented Students, Escalating Trump Crackdown

DOJ Sues Minnesota Over In-State Tuition for Undocumented Students, Escalating Trump Crackdown

Thomas Smith
3 Min Read

The U.S. Department of Justice filed a lawsuit Wednesday to block Minnesota from offering in-state college tuition to certain undocumented students—marking the third such legal challenge this month by President Donald Trump’s administration.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court, argues that Minnesota’s tuition policy discriminates against U.S. citizens from outside the state by giving financial benefits to undocumented immigrants.

“No state can be allowed to treat Americans like second-class citizens in their own country by offering financial benefits to illegal aliens,” said Attorney General Pam Bondi in a statement.
“We just won this exact fight in Texas, and now we’re bringing it to Minnesota.”

Earlier this month, Texas Governor Greg Abbott and Attorney General Ken Paxton agreed to eliminate a decades-old law offering in-state tuition to some undocumented students just hours after a similar lawsuit was filed. Last week, the DOJ filed suit against Kentucky over a comparable program.

Minnesota, however, appears poised to mount a defense. Governor Tim Walz, who was Kamala Harris’ 2024 running mate, has been an outspoken critic of Trump’s second administration.


What’s at Stake

The lawsuit targets the Minnesota Dream Act, passed in 2013 under Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton, which allows certain undocumented students to qualify for in-state tuition and access state financial aid.

The DOJ complaint echoes language used in its recent lawsuits, claiming the state policy unlawfully favors undocumented students over U.S. citizens who are nonresidents.

“The magnitude of this discrimination against U.S. citizens is substantial,” the complaint states.
“In-state tuition is significantly cheaper than what Americans from outside Minnesota pay.”

The lawsuit names Walz, Attorney General Keith Ellison, and the Minnesota Office of Higher Education as defendants. The governor’s office said it is reviewing the complaint and declined further comment.


Broader Immigration Crackdown

The legal action stems from an April executive order signed by Trump, directing federal agencies to target any state or local policies that provide “unlawful” advantages to undocumented immigrants—including access to public education benefits.

Since returning to the White House in January, Trump has pushed a series of aggressive measures aimed at limiting immigrant access to higher education. This includes a failed attempt to block Harvard University from enrolling international students and a State Department directive ordering diplomats to review the social media activity of student visa applicants.

The DOJ’s push in Minnesota signals the administration’s continued commitment to reshaping immigration policy at both the federal and state level.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *