California Governor Gavin Newsom has filed a $787 million defamation lawsuit against Fox News, accusing the network and host Jesse Watters of airing a misleading segment that falsely portrayed him as lying about communications with President Donald Trump. The lawsuit, filed Friday in Delaware Superior Court, closely mirrors the $787.5 million settlement Fox paid Dominion Voting Systems in 2023 over election-related falsehoods.
At the center of the suit is Watters’ broadcast earlier this month, in which an edited video of Trump was aired suggesting Newsom had lied about when he last spoke with the president. Newsom insists the final call occurred on June 7 — a claim backed by Trump’s own call log, later shown on the same Fox program. Still, Watters questioned Newsom’s credibility, asking, “Why would Newsom lie and claim Trump never called him?”
Newsom’s attorneys say that segment deliberately distorted the timeline to make the governor look dishonest — a move they argue meets the high legal bar for defamation and could damage his political future.
“If Fox News wants to lie to the American people on Donald Trump’s behalf, it should face consequences — just like it did in the Dominion case,” Newsom said in a statement to POLITICO. “Until Fox is willing to be truthful, I will keep fighting against their propaganda machine.”
Fox responded by dismissing the lawsuit as a “frivolous publicity stunt” aimed at chilling free speech and vowed to fight the case in court.
The lawsuit adds a dramatic new chapter to Newsom’s long, complicated relationship with both Fox News and Trump — marked by public feuds, moments of cooperation, and frequent verbal sparring. While Newsom has criticized Fox’s conservative tilt, he’s also used appearances on the network to his advantage, most recently clashing with Sean Hannity in a widely watched 2023 debate.
Though Newsom is suing in a personal capacity, his aides say he will use campaign funds to cover legal costs and donate any potential winnings to anti-Trump organizations.
The legal filing alleges Fox’s actions also violate California’s Unfair Competition Law, citing deceptive business practices. Newsom’s lawyers — including Mark Bankston, who successfully sued Alex Jones on behalf of Sandy Hook families — demanded a retraction and on-air apology. If those demands are met, they said the lawsuit could be withdrawn.
In a sharply worded letter to Fox, the legal team mocked Trump’s confusion over call dates, writing, “It is perhaps unsurprising that a near-octogenarian with a history of delusionary public statements and unhinged late-night social media screeds might confuse the dates. But Fox’s decision to cover up for President Trump’s error cannot be so easily dismissed.”
The timing of the suit also reflects the broader legal battlefield between prominent political figures and the media. Newsom’s filing mirrors Trump’s own wave of lawsuits against outlets like ABC and CBS, some of which have ended in multimillion-dollar settlements.
Critics say Newsom is adopting Trump’s own strategy: using legal action against the press to energize his base and control headlines. But supporters argue the governor is standing up to misinformation that threatens public trust.
The fallout from the suit could have national implications as both Newsom and Trump remain central figures in their parties heading into 2026 — and continue to battle not just each other, but the narratives shaping them in the media.