The girlfriend of a man still missing after a devastating fireworks facility explosion in Esparto, California, is pleading for answers and accountability.
On Tuesday, July 1, around 6 p.m., the Esparto Fire Protection District and Cal Fire responded to an explosion at a pyrotechnics site near County Roads 23 and 86A, according to a Yolo County news release. Officials later confirmed that seven people remained unaccounted for.
Among the missing is 18-year-old Jesus Ramos, who was on his first day at the job. His girlfriend, Syanna Ruiz, told local station KSBW that he had been looking forward to the opportunity. “We have a baby on the way,” she said. “They were saying that there was a warning beforehand, but somebody is behind this. There’s no way that this just happened.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(672x343:674x345):format(webp)/fireworks-warehouse-explosion-esparto-070325-e4731b91e0a645ebb68d9fdf2e8045b0.jpg)
Jesus was working alongside his brothers, Johnny Ramos and Junior Melendez, both of whom are also missing, Ruiz said in an interview with ABC affiliate KXTV.
During a press conference Wednesday, Ruiz expressed frustration with the pace of the search. “We’ve been out here since the explosion happened, and we haven’t seen anyone go in and actually try to find them,” she said, referencing authorities’ concerns about ongoing hazards.
“They were all three incredible men who had so much coming for them,” she added. “I’m just praying to God, someway, somehow, they’re OK.”
Footage of the explosion, which has circulated widely on social media and news outlets including NBC News, shows the moment the warehouse was engulfed in flames. The blast triggered multiple spot fires across roughly 80 acres, according to Esparto Fire Chief Curtis Lawrence.
Lawrence said first responders encountered several commercial buildings “fully involved,” along with “numerous explosions and spot fires throughout the area.”
The fireworks company, identified by NBC News as Devastating Pyrotechnics, released a statement acknowledging the tragedy: “Our hearts and thoughts are with those we lost, their families, and everyone impacted in our community. We are grateful for the swift response of law enforcement and emergency personnel. Our focus will remain on those directly impacted by this tragedy, and we will cooperate fully with the proper authorities in their investigation.”
Fire officials said the scene remains hazardous, and gaining full access to the site has proven difficult. “Explosions continued throughout the afternoon and evening,” the county said in an update Wednesday, with firefighting teams working cautiously to mitigate ongoing risks.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/fireworks-explosion-070325-2-d6d5b100448c4bcaa3d5cd91123fef16.jpg)
Fireworks accident expert Richard Meier told KSBW that determining the exact cause of the explosion could take months. “With incidents of this magnitude and involving federal and state agencies, it could be three to six months before we see an interim report—perhaps a year for a final one,” he said.
Yolo County Supervisor Angel Barajas called the incident a “tragic and evolving situation” and praised first responders. “We are deeply grateful to the fire crews, law enforcement, and supporting agencies who worked tirelessly overnight to contain the fire, secure the area, and keep the community safe.”
As of Thursday morning, Devastating Pyrotechnics, Chief Lawrence, and the Yolo County Sheriff’s Office had not provided additional updates or responded to media requests.