ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA - JUNE 26: U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth speaks during a news conference at the Pentagon on June 26, 2025 in Arlington, Virginia. Top officials from the Department of Defense gave an update after three Iranian nuclear facilities were struck by the U.S. military last weekend and Iran countered by launching missiles at Al Udeid Air Base in Doha, Qatar. Andrew Harnik/Getty Images/AFP (Photo by Andrew Harnik / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Getty Images via AFP)

“It’s In Your DNA”: Pentagon Chief Blasts Reporter On Trump Question

Thomas Smith
3 Min Read

The remarks came in response to media reports earlier this week citing a leaked Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) assessment.

U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth launched a strong rebuke of the media during a Pentagon briefing on Thursday, accusing journalists of rooting against President Donald Trump and attempting to downplay the success of recent U.S. airstrikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.

“It’s like it’s in your DNA to root against Trump,” Hegseth said during the briefing, held alongside General Dan Caine. “You want him to fail so badly that you can’t help but question whether these strikes were effective.”

Hegseth’s comments came in response to reports citing a leaked Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) assessment, which suggested that while the U.S. strikes caused damage, they may have only delayed Iran’s nuclear program by a few months. That assessment contradicted Trump’s assertion that the facilities had been “obliterated.”

While the administration did not deny the existence of the DIA report, officials described it as a “low confidence” early analysis based on limited data. Hegseth used the leak as a launching point to criticize what he described as the media’s biased approach to covering Trump-era defense efforts.

“Some of you are taking half-truths and leaked reports, spinning them into doubt and controversy, and using them to manipulate public opinion,” Hegseth said, visibly frustrated. “You’re more focused on scandal than substance.”

The Defense Secretary also accused the media of ignoring positive developments such as stronger military recruitment numbers and increased NATO defense spending. “Historic moments are happening, but you’d rather hunt for a scandal,” he added.

The Pentagon briefing was part of a broader administration effort to counter the narrative emerging from the leaked intelligence report. President Trump, in a post on social media, urged the public to “watch the briefing” and claimed—without offering proof—that those responsible for the leak would be fired.

Hegseth dismissed the leaked DIA assessment as “premature and unverified,” emphasizing that a more complete intelligence picture is still being developed.

“If you want to know what’s going on at Fordow,” Hegseth said, referencing one of Iran’s key nuclear sites, “you better go there and get a big shovel.”

When asked whether enriched uranium may have been relocated prior to the strikes, Hegseth replied, “I’m not aware of any intelligence I’ve reviewed suggesting materials were moved.”

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *