Jack Schlossberg is speaking out against President Donald Trump’s latest changes to the White House grounds.
In an Instagram post shared on Thursday, Oct. 23, the 32-year-old grandson of former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy reacted to the president’s decision to demolish parts of the historic Rose Garden beside the West Wing — along with the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden beside the East Wing — to make room for a new patio and a $300 million ballroom.
“My grandmother saw America in full color — Trump sees black and white,” Schlossberg wrote.
His two-photo post contrasted a classic image of tulips in the Kennedy-era Rose Garden with a more recent scene of heavy machinery smoothing gravel where green lawns once stood.
Although the photos were taken earlier in the summer during the paving of the Rose Garden, the post appeared to be prompted by more recent demolition. The New York Times reported that the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden — located opposite the Rose Garden, next to the East Wing — was torn down along with the East Wing itself as Trump moves ahead with construction on a 90,000-square-foot ballroom.
“Where she planted flowers, he poured concrete. She brought life to the White House, because our landmarks should inspire and grow with our country,” Schlossberg continued.
“Her Rose Garden is gone, but the spirit of the Kennedy White House lives on — in the young at heart, the strong in spirit, and in a new generation answering the call to service,” he added.
He ended his post with a pointed reminder: “History is watching. We need leaders with courage, conviction and who actually care.”
On Wednesday, Oct. 22, White House spokesman Davis Ingle said, “President Trump is working 24/7 to Make America Great Again, including his historic beautification of the White House, at no taxpayer expense. These long-needed upgrades will benefit generations of future presidents and American visitors to the People’s House.”
Schlossberg is not alone in his criticism of Trump’s so-called “beautification.”
Former First Lady Hillary Clinton also condemned the demolition in a post on X on Tuesday, Oct. 21: “It’s not his house. It’s your house. And he’s destroying it,” she wrote.
Trump had previously assured that no major alterations would be made to the East Wing.
“It’ll be views of the Washington Monument. It won’t interfere with the current building. It’ll be near it but not touching it,” he told The New York Times. “And [it] pays total respect to the existing building, which I’m the biggest fan of.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(660x343:662x345):format(webp)/white-house-ballroom-construction-102225-c5abc174b3d5475b93a248afcfa19783.jpg)
The East Wing has long been associated with America’s first ladies. Eleanor Roosevelt first professionalized the office there, and in 1977, Rosalynn Carter established the tradition of housing the first lady’s office alongside the White House social secretary within the wing.