The Coast Guard is actively searching for 44-year-old diver Bryson Higashi, who went missing off the coast of Hawaii earlier this week.
Higashi was last seen around 4:30 p.m. local time on Tuesday, Sept. 23, in the Hanalei area of Kauai, according to the Coast Guard. A spokesperson confirmed to PEOPLE that the search remains ongoing as of Friday, Sept. 26.
The Coast Guard described Higashi as 5 feet, 11 inches tall and weighing approximately 180 lbs.
“Higashi’s truck was discovered near Hanalei Bay after being left unattended for a full day,” the Coast Guard said.
On Wednesday, Sept. 24, at around 7:36 p.m., Kauai Fire Department personnel reported a possible person in the water near Hanalei Bay to the Coast Guard command center. In response, watchstanders issued an urgent marine information broadcast and deployed a 45-foot response boat, a helicopter crew, and an airplane crew from Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point.
The crew of the Coast Guard cutter William Hart was also diverted to assist in the search.
On Thursday, Sept. 25, weather conditions in the area included 15 mph winds, 2- to 4-foot waves, occasional showers, and reduced visibility, the Coast Guard said. Authorities believe Higashi “may have gone missing while freediving,” according to Fox News.
The search effort also involves the Kauai Fire and Police Departments and the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources.
In a social media statement from the Kauai Police Department, officials described Higashi as having brown eyes and black hair. The statement urged the public to stay alert, noting, “Your assistance could make a significant difference.”