Annunciation Catholic Church on 54th Street in Minneapolis. Credit : Google Maps

Mass Shooting at Minneapolis Catholic School Leads to ‘Horrific Violence’

Thomas Smith
2 Min Read

Police in Minneapolis are responding to an active shooter situation at a Catholic school and church.

On Wednesday, Aug. 27, the City of Minneapolis announced on X that there was an “active shooter situation” at Annunciation Catholic School. Officials confirmed that the suspect was “contained.”

“There is no active threat to the community at this time,” the post stated. “The shooter is contained. Stay away from the area to allow emergency personnel to help victims – W. 54th Street between Lyndale and Nicollet Ave.”

Families were directed to reunite with children at the school.

According to Reuters and the Minnesota Star-Tribune, three people, including the shooter, were confirmed dead. The Star-Tribune also reported that two of the victims were children.

Both CNN and NBC cited law enforcement sources who said the suspect died by suicide.

The Associated Press, citing law enforcement and hospital officials, reported that at least five children were being treated for injuries.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz said on X that he had been briefed on the situation.

“I’m praying for our kids and teachers whose first week of school was marred by this horrific act of violence,” Walz wrote.

The FBI confirmed that agents were on their way to the scene, and ATF personnel also responded.

This is a developing story.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *