Melania Trump; White House demolition. Credit : Samuel Corum/Getty; Aaron Schwartz/Bloomberg via Getty

Melania Trump Privately Shared Concerns About Tearing Down East Wing and Distanced Herself from Ballroom Project: Report

Thomas Smith
6 Min Read

While former President Donald Trump’s early White House renovations — including the Rose Garden overhaul — were reportedly projects he collaborated on with his wife, Melania Trump, his current demolition of the East Wing to make way for a massive ballroom may not share her support.

According to a new report by The Wall Street Journal on Trump’s rapid demolition of the historic structure, journalists Annie Linskey, Josh Dawsey, and Will Parker wrote that Melania “privately raised concerns about tearing down the East Wing and told associates it wasn’t her project, according to administration officials.”

Rumors have long circulated that Melania is not fond of residing in the White House. Earlier this year, social sources said the former first lady backed her husband’s redecoration plans, as the updates made the presidential residence feel more like their Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.

A source in Florida noted that both Donald and Melania “would prefer to be in Palm Beach,” so instead they’re “bringing Mar-a-Lago to Washington.”

Another insider — a Mar-a-Lago club member — added that the couple takes pride in their Florida home’s décor and enjoys showing it off, making it natural they’d apply a similar style to the presidential residence. “Anytime Melania and Donald can make the White House feel more like Mar-a-Lago, they will,” the source said. “They love Mar-a-Lago. Not only is it their home, but Donald personally created much of the current décor and takes pride in living there and showing it to other people.”

However, the dramatic demolition of the Roosevelt-era East Wing appears to have crossed a line even for the former first lady. Viral photos and videos of the destruction have stirred intense emotions nationwide.

After earlier assurances that constructing a new White House ballroom would not harm the East Wing, excavators were later seen tearing apart the historic section traditionally used for the first lady’s offices. When questioned about the project’s transparency, Trump lashed out at Reuters journalist Jeff Mason during an Oct. 23 press event.

“I haven’t been transparent? Really?” Trump said, raising his voice. “I’ve shown this to everybody that would listen. Third-rate reporters didn’t see it because they didn’t look. You’re a third-rate reporter, always have been. These pictures have been in newspapers, they’ve been all over the place, and we’re very proud of it. It’s gotten great reviews.”

Trump may also face scrutiny for skipping a critical procedural step. His administration has yet to submit the ballroom plans to the National Capital Planning Commission — the body responsible for approving and monitoring federal construction projects.

Will Scharf, the White House staff secretary and Trump ally who now chairs the commission, previously claimed that approval was required only for construction, not demolition — which, he noted, “hasn’t yet begun.”

On Oct. 21, however, the National Trust for Historic Preservation sent a letter to the White House urging Trump to halt demolition until the plans could be properly reviewed.

“While the National Trust acknowledges the utility of a larger meeting space at the White House, we are deeply concerned that the massing and height of the proposed new construction will overwhelm the White House itself — it is 55,000 square feet — and may also permanently disrupt the carefully balanced classical design of the White House with its two smaller, and lower, East and West Wings,” the letter stated.

It continued: “As we approach the 250th anniversary of our country’s founding, the preservation of historic places that represent our nation’s history has never been more relevant or important. We urge you to take into account the deep reverence that all Americans hold for this iconic place, and to initiate the review process that can ensure the preservation of the historic White House for future generations.”

Demolition of the East Wing of the White House on Oct. 23, 2025. Eric Lee/Getty

In a statement, White House spokesman Davis Ingle said, “President Trump is working 24/7 to Make America Great Again, including his historic beautification of the White House, at no taxpayer expense. These long-needed upgrades will benefit generations of future presidents and American visitors to the People’s House.”

Edward Lengel, who served as chief historian for the White House Historical Association during Trump’s first term, recently argued that the Founding Fathers “would have been disgusted” by the former president’s remodeling plans.

In a CNN interview last week, Lengel criticized the proposed ballroom’s size, which is reportedly double that of the main residence. “Now, your attention is going to be drawn to the giant ballroom, which really has one man’s name on it,” he said. “It’s going to cast the Executive Mansion into the shade and turn it much more into a presidential palace.”

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *