U.S. Army Spc. Sarah Beckstrom, one of two National Guard members shot in an ambush near the White House, has died from her injuries.
During his Thanksgiving call with service members, President Donald Trump said he had been told that the 20-year-old soldier had not survived. “She’s no longer with us. She’s looking down at us right now,” he said, per CNN. Trump added that the second Guard member, 24-year-old Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, remains in critical condition.
Just a day after the pair were sworn in, Beckstrom and Wolfe — who were stationed in Washington, D.C. — were “ambushed in a brazen and targeted attack” on Wednesday, Nov. 26, U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro previously said, according to reports from The Associated Press, NBC News and CNN.
The D.C. National Guard described Beckstrom’s death as a “devastating loss” in a social media post.
“Spc. Sarah Beckstrom came to the District from West Virginia to make our nation’s capital safe and beautiful,” the Facebook statement read. “She is a hero and we mourn her passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with her loved ones and with the West Virginia National Guard.”
Authorities have identified the suspect as 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, an Afghan national residing in Washington state, according to the outlets.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/shooting-near-the-White-House-2025-112625-434a28b75d654608be1a7844ed6f2692.jpg)
At a Thursday press conference, Pirro alleged that Lakanwal drove across the country before carrying out the attack with a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver. She said it was still too early to determine a motive.
In a statement reported by CNN, CIA Director John Ratcliffe said Lakanwal had previously worked with the CIA as part of a “partner force” in Kandahar, Afghanistan. NBC reported that he was also shot during the incident and is currently hospitalized.
Before Beckstrom’s death, Lakanwal had been charged with assault with intent to kill while armed and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, the AP reported. Pirro said on Fox & Friends on Friday that the charges would be upgraded to first-degree murder.
In a post on X, U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi said prosecutors will seek the death penalty.
“Devastated. Please pray for Sarah’s family. America will never forget her courage. There WILL BE JUSTICE for Sarah. Continue to pray for Andrew. Thank you to President Trump — the death penalty is back,” she wrote.