In a stunning turn of events, Raul Valle—the Connecticut man accused of fatally stabbing Fairfield Prep lacrosse player James “Jimmy” McGrath during a 2022 house party—was acquitted Wednesday of both murder and intentional manslaughter charges. The jury remained deadlocked on several lesser counts, leading to a partial mistrial.
Valle, now 20, was visibly emotional in Milford Superior Court as the verdict was read following two days of jury deliberations. He was cleared of the most serious charges in a case that has gripped the community for more than two years.
“I’m shocked right now at the verdict,” said Kevin McGrath, the victim’s father, speaking to CT Insider. “I could have understood a manslaughter conviction instead of murder. But not guilty? I was not prepared for that. My son had so much potential — and now he’s gone, while the person who took his life walks free tonight.”
Jimmy McGrath, 17, a popular athlete and student at the Jesuit-run Fairfield College Preparatory School, died after being stabbed in the heart during a chaotic, alcohol-fueled fight at a home in Shelton on May 14, 2022.
Three other teens were also injured in the brawl: Ryan Heinz, Faison Teele, and Thomas Connery, all students at Shelton High School. Valle, who was 16 at the time and attended St. Joseph High School in Trumbull, was charged in connection with all four stabbings.
During the trial, prosecutors argued Valle instigated the melee by bringing a knife to the party — a “switchblade-style” weapon, according to a police report. Witnesses told police Valle brandished the knife before the fight escalated into a clash involving nearly 25 teenagers.
Prosecutors said Valle stabbed McGrath in the chest, Heinz three times — including a blow that punctured his lung — Connery four times in the leg, and Teele once in the arm.
Valle, who broke down while testifying, said he was overwhelmed and terrified when the fight broke out. He told the court he began swinging the knife wildly in all directions and claimed he never intended to kill anyone — even stating he blacked out at one point.
The jury also found him not guilty of first- and second-degree reckless assault.
Valle had previously rejected a plea deal that could have sentenced him to 40 years behind bars. If convicted on all original counts, he faced up to 105 years in prison.
Despite the partial acquittal, the case is far from over. Prosecutors confirmed they intend to re-file charges on the unresolved counts: reckless first-degree manslaughter in McGrath’s death and multiple assault charges related to the other victims.
“We will still be pursuing justice,” said Michael Rosnick, the McGrath family’s attorney. “Anyone who bears responsibility for the tragic chain of events that night will be held accountable. That process is ongoing, and we’re confident that we’ll get there.”
The loss of McGrath, remembered as a vibrant student and talented athlete, continues to reverberate through the Fairfield Prep community and beyond.