Miguel Ángel García-Hernández. Credit : GoFundMe

Second Victim in Deadly Shooting at Dallas ICE Facility Dies Days Before Expecting Birth of Fifth Child

Thomas Smith
3 Min Read

A second victim has died from injuries sustained during the Sept. 24 shooting at a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Dallas, Texas, according to a Latino civil rights organization representing the victims’ families.

The League of United Latin American Citizens announced Tuesday that Miguel Ángel García-Hernández was taken off life support on Monday, Sept. 29, and succumbed to the injuries he suffered in the attack.

García-Hernández, 32, was a married father of four and was expecting a fifth child with his wife, Stephanny Gauffeny.

The organization, which works to advance Latinos’ economic, educational, political, housing, health, and civil rights, shared a statement from García-Hernández’s wife, describing the profound impact of the shooting on their family.

“My husband Miguel was a good man, a loving father, and the provider for our family,” Gauffeny said. “We had just bought our first home together, and he worked hard every single day to make sure our children had what they needed. His death is a senseless tragedy that has left our family shattered. I do not know how to explain to our children that their father is gone.”

LULAC highlighted that the couple “had recently moved into their first home,” a milestone García-Hernández worked tirelessly to achieve.

Miguel Ángel García-Hernández (left). GoFundMe

Gauffeny’s sister, Gabriela Gauffeny, launched a GoFundMe page to support the family, noting that García-Hernández was “the sole provider for his family.” The fundraiser also mentioned that the couple’s fifth child could arrive at any moment.

Following García-Hernández’s passing, Gabriela Gauffeny said the funds will now “go towards any funeral expenses as well as to help my sister, his wife, with bills she is facing and baby expenses she is in need of.”

PEOPLE previously reported that a shooter opened fire on the Dallas ICE field office from a nearby rooftop, killing one detainee and critically injuring two others. The suspected shooter died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to the FBI.

Law enforcement and emergency personnel respond to an ICE detention facility in Dallas. ARIC BECKER/AFP via Getty 

LULAC stated Monday that it stands with García-Hernández’s family and urged the public “to honor his memory by rejecting violence and ending divisive rhetoric.”

“Every individual’s life deserves dignity, including that of Latino immigrants, millions of whom contribute daily to the fabric of America,” the organization said. “This hatred must stop. It is time for our nation to come together in compassion, unity, and respect for human life.”

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *