Four people have been arrested in Argentina following the brutal killing of two women and a teenage girl, whose alleged torture authorities say was broadcast on social media.
The dismembered remains of Brenda del Castillo, 20, Morena Verdi, 20, and Lara Morena Gutiérrez, 15, were discovered on Wednesday, Sept. 24, in Florencio Varela, roughly 16 miles south of Buenos Aires, according to Pagina 12, Cadena 3 and La Nacion.
The victims had been reported missing since Friday, Sept. 19. Investigators suspect they were targeted by a Peruvian drug trafficker, as reported by Cadena 3, La Nacion and Clarin. Authorities say the alleged motive was a warning: “This is what happens to those who steal drugs from me,” according to the investigation cited by Cadena 3 and La Nacion. It remains unclear if the message accompanied the torture or was written separately.
Investigators allege the victims were lured into a van with the promise of a party, according to Pagina 12, Buenos Aires Herald and Cadena 3. Autopsies indicate the killings likely occurred early on Saturday, Sept. 20. Morena reportedly suffered severe mutilations, including the loss of five fingers and an ear, while Castillo was stabbed and later had her abdomen cut open, La Nacion reported.
Authorities confirmed that the torture was broadcast on social media in a closed group of roughly 45 people, according to El Trece TV, Cadena 3 and La Nacion. Multiple outlets, including The New York Times, The Guardian and El Trece TV, reported the livestream took place on Instagram, though parent company Meta told PEOPLE it found no evidence of such activity on its platform. “Our team continues to cooperate with law enforcement as they investigate this horrific crime,” Meta said in a statement.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(999x0:1001x2):format(webp)/Brenda-Del-Castillo-Morena-Verri-crime-scene-092525-b9955e955751444ca37f3f34f87d664e.jpg)
The victims’ remains were recovered from a well in what authorities have dubbed a “house of horrors,” located with the help of the victims’ cell phone signals, according to La Nacion, Pagina 12 and Clarin.
The discovery sparked massive protests in Buenos Aires, with demonstrators calling for an end to gender-based violence, according to local media reports.
Four people have been arrested in connection with the killings, though their identities have not been released. One detainee reportedly informed police that a Peruvian drug trafficker orchestrated the murders. The suspects were expected to face charges on Thursday, La Nacion reported.