FOX 4/Jeff Metcalf

Trial date set for Austin Metcalf’s suspected killer in track meet stabbing

Thomas Smith
5 Min Read

Karmelo Anthony, the 18-year-old accused of fatally stabbing Texas high school track athlete Austin Metcalf, will stand trial in June 2026, according to newly released court records.

Anthony is facing a charge of first-degree murder in connection with the April 2 stabbing at a high school track meet in Frisco. His jury trial is scheduled to begin on June 1, 2026.

According to police, Metcalf, a 17-year-old junior at Memorial High School, was stabbed in the chest during a confrontation inside his team’s tent. He died at the scene in the arms of his twin brother.

Anthony, a student-athlete at Frisco Centennial High School, was arrested on school property just minutes after the incident. He was indicted by a grand jury on June 24.

“For weeks, my team has been presenting evidence to the grand jury,” said Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis. “Today, I summarized that evidence and asked for a first-degree murder indictment against Karmelo Anthony — which they delivered.”

“From here, the case moves formally into the court system. When the time comes, we’ll be ready to pursue justice fully and fairly.”

Defense Argues Self-Defense

Anthony’s attorney, Mike Howard, responded to the indictment by emphasizing that it was a standard legal step and not a conviction.

“We expect that when the full story is heard, the prosecution will not be able to rule out the reasonable doubt that Karmelo Anthony may have acted in self-defense,” Howard said.

According to the arrest affidavit, a witness told police that before the stabbing, Anthony warned Metcalf by saying, “Touch me and see what happens,” and then pulled a knife from his bag. The same witness said Anthony fled the scene after the stabbing. Responding officers later noted Anthony had blood on his finger.

Anthony allegedly made a spontaneous statement to officers:

“I’m not alleged. I did it.”

He was initially held on a $1 million bond, later reduced to $250,000. He has since bonded out and is under house arrest.

Public Reaction and Racial Tensions

The case has drawn significant public attention—and controversy. Following Anthony’s release, his family raised over $544,000 through a GoFundMe campaign, sparking debate over how the funds would be used.

The family also enlisted Dominique Alexander, president of the Next Generation Action Network (NGAN) and a well-known activist, as their spokesperson. Alexander has argued that race has played a central role in public reaction to the case.

“To the racists, the bigots, and those filled with hate who’ve targeted Karmelo and his family—you do not intimidate us,” Alexander said after the indictment.
“This case is yet another example of what it means to be Black in America, where even our self-defense is questioned, scrutinized, and politicized.”

Alexander, a former Black Lives Matter activist, has previously called for police reform and has vocally defended Anthony at several press events.

Conflict at Press Conference

At a tense press conference following Anthony’s release, Alexander publicly criticized Jeff Metcalf, Austin’s father, who had attempted to attend the event.

“What we saw at the start of this press conference—of the father being here—was, in my words, a disrespect to the dignity of his son,” Alexander said.
“He’s fallen into the trap of political operatives trying to turn this tragedy into a campaign of hate and bigotry.”

Jeff Metcalf has not yet publicly responded to Alexander’s remarks but has previously spoken about choosing faith and forgiveness in the face of tragedy.


Austin Metcalf was remembered by friends and family as a talented athlete and compassionate young man. His death continues to resonate deeply within the Frisco community.

Anthony’s next court appearance is expected in the coming months as both sides prepare for trial in 2026.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *