WASHINGTON, D.C. — President Donald Trump declared Monday that Israel and Iran have agreed to a “Complete and Total” ceasefire, claiming an end to the nearly two-week-long conflict. However, Iran’s response to the announcement has raised doubts about whether a formal agreement is actually in place.
Ceasefire Timeline
According to Trump, the ceasefire will unfold in stages:
- Iran will halt strikes against Israel by midnight ET on Tuesday.
- Israel is expected to stop its attacks 12 hours later, at noon ET Tuesday.
- The conflict will be officially declared over by midnight ET on Wednesday, a White House official confirmed to CBS News.
“Upon the 24th Hour, an Official END to THE 12 DAY WAR will be saluted by the World,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.
Iran’s Response: Ceasefire? Maybe, Maybe Not
Shortly after Trump’s announcement, Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi wrote on X (formerly Twitter) that Iran had already ceased its attacks as of 4 a.m. Tehran time (8:30 p.m. ET Monday).
He said Iranian strikes “continued until the very last minute,” but he also emphasized that no formal ceasefire agreement had been made.
“There is NO ‘agreement’ on any ceasefire or cessation of military operations,” Araghchi stated.
He added that Iran does not intend to continue strikes if Israel also halts attacks, but stressed that “the final decision” would be made later.
CBS News reached out to the White House for a response but had not received comment at press time.
Later Monday night, Trump posted again, claiming,
“Israel and Iran came to me, almost simultaneously, and said, ‘PEACE!’ I knew the time was NOW.”
Israel has not officially confirmed its participation in the ceasefire.
How the Deal Came Together
A senior White House official told CBS News that both sides verbally agreed to the plan, with Israel agreeing conditionally — provided Iran stops all attacks.
- Trump communicated directly with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
- U.S. officials including Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Mideast envoy Steve Witkoff engaged with Iranian counterparts via direct and indirect channels.
- Qatar played a crucial role, helping broker the talks. Trump requested the Qatari emir’s assistance in pressing Iran toward a ceasefire. Vance coordinated details with the Qatari prime minister.
According to U.S. officials, Iran agreed to the plan after its missile strike on Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar.
Background: A Quick Escalation
The conflict began on June 13, when Israel launched airstrikes on Iran’s nuclear and military targets, killing several senior Iranian officials. Iran retaliated with missile strikes against Israel.
- Human Rights Activists reported at least 950 dead and 3,450 injured in Iran from Israeli airstrikes.
- Iran’s attacks killed at least 24 people in Israel, according to Israeli officials.
The U.S. became directly involved over the weekend, striking three major Iranian nuclear facilities. While Iran fired more than a dozen missiles at a U.S. base in Qatar, most were intercepted, and no injuries were reported.
Trump dismissed the Iranian retaliation as “very weak,” while thanking Iran for giving early warning, which he claimed helped prevent casualties.
The Bigger Issue: Iran’s Nuclear Program
The ceasefire announcement does little to resolve the underlying dispute over Iran’s nuclear ambitions.
- Israel has long accused Iran of secretly building a nuclear bomb.
- U.S. intelligence earlier this year assessed that Iran was not actively working on a nuclear weapon, although there is growing pressure within Iran to restart the program.
Trump has rejected that assessment, saying:
“I think they were very close to having one.”
Secretary of State Rubio dismissed the debate altogether, calling the question “irrelevant” and insisting that Iran already has the materials to build a bomb.
Despite U.S. strikes reportedly “obliterating” three Iranian nuclear sites — including underground uranium enrichment facilities — Iran has downplayed the damage.
Meanwhile, Trump continues to push for a broader deal to eliminate uranium enrichment in Iran altogether. Iran has flatly rejected that condition, and American officials say prior talks had already stalled before Israel’s strikes began.
What’s Next?
While Trump insists peace is at hand, Iran’s unclear messaging and lack of official confirmation from Israel suggest the situation remains fluid. Whether the ceasefire holds may depend not only on military actions in the next 24 hours, but on deeper negotiations that have yet to find real traction.