President Donald Trump shared security footage on social media Saturday, criticizing a subcontractor accused of damaging the “most beautiful marble and stone available anywhere” in the recently renovated White House Rose Garden.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said he discovered a “huge gash” in the limestone earlier this week that stretched more than 25 yards.
“Surfaces are very important to me as a builder,” the president wrote. “As everyone knows, I built many GREAT Buildings, and other things, over the years. … [The limestone crack] was deep and nasty! I started yelling, ‘Who did this, and I want to find out now!’—and I didn’t say this in a nice manner.”
Trump questioned whether the damage came from vandalism or carelessness and said White House security cameras quickly revealed the truth.
“They brought back the stupid people, with their boss watching (in sunglasses!),” Trump wrote. “It was a subcontractor installing heavy landscaping on a steel cart that was broken and tilting badly, rubbing hard against the soft, beautiful stone.”
Security footage released with the post showed two workers pushing a yellow cart carrying what looked like a shrub across the newly installed stone, while two other men stood nearby watching.
Noting his “love and respect” for workers and contractors, Trump said the damage was unacceptable and confirmed the limestone would be replaced.

“Now, I’ll replace the stone, charge the contractor, and never let that contractor work at the White House again—But, how great is the video equipment? We caught them, cold,” he wrote. “MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”