A Texas family is mourning the death of their 16-year-old son, who passed away less than a month after being struck by a truck outside a high school during lunchtime.
Jose Flores III had been in critical condition since the Sept. 16 crash near John Jay High School, where he was hit around 1:53 p.m. local time. He died from his injuries on Saturday, Oct. 11, according to the San Antonio Police Department.
Authorities said Flores was crossing Marbach Road in a marked crosswalk when a gray Ford F-150 driven by a 33-year-old man hit him.
“The driver of the Ford immediately stopped, remained at the scene, and cooperated with the investigation. The complainant suffered life-threatening injuries from the crash and was transported to the hospital,” police said in a statement.
A GoFundMe created to support Flores’ family confirmed the teenager’s death, noting that he had undergone surgery to stop a brain bleed after the accident.
“He was so caring and so helpful,” his father, Jose Flores Jr., told KSAT. “He was such a good son.”
Flores’ parents told the outlet their son dreamed of becoming a firefighter someday. In his memory, the family is donating his organs and urging others to drive carefully.
“Please watch out,” his mother, Amanda Saucedo, told KSAT. “Be careful. Be sure there are no kids around. No family should have to go through this.”
NBC affiliate WOAI reported that the driver, who has not been publicly identified, will not face charges.
The San Antonio Police Department said the case remains under investigation.