A suspected shooter at a Minnesota Catholic school is dead, two law enforcement officials told CNN on Wednesday. This comes after Gov. Tim Walz called it another “horrific act of violence.”
Sources said the shooter died by suicide.
The shooting happened during the first week of classes at Annunciation Catholic School, which has students from preschool through eighth grade in southern Minneapolis. The school is now the latest community affected by the United States’ ongoing gun violence problem.
Authorities have not yet shared details about injuries. A news conference is expected later Wednesday morning.
By 9:30 a.m. local time, officials said the shooter had been “contained.” The city of Minneapolis posted on X that there was “no active threat to the community at this time” and asked people to avoid the area so emergency workers could help the victims.
Walz had earlier said he was “briefed on a shooting at Annunciation Catholic School and will continue to provide updates as we get more information.” He added that the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and the State Patrol were at the scene.
“I’m praying for our kids and teachers whose first week of school was marred by this horrific act of violence,” the governor said.
Tim Evans/Reuters
President Donald Trump said he had also been briefed on the incident. On Truth Social, he called it a “tragic shooting” and asked everyone to pray for those affected.
Agents from the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also responded, according to the agencies.
Hennepin Healthcare, a level 1 trauma center, said on social media that it is “caring for patients from the shooting that occurred this morning.”
Sen. Amy Klobuchar, who represents Minnesota, said on X that she was “heartbroken” by the news.
“My prayers are with the students, teachers, and families, and I am grateful for the first responders who are on the scene.”