Political rally for Vijay in Tamil Nadu, India, on Sept. 27, 2025. Credit : Seshadri Sukumar/ZUMA Press Wire/Shutterstock

At Least 36 People Killed, Including 8 Children, in Stampede at Actor’s Political Rally

Thomas Smith
3 Min Read

At least 36 people have died and more than 40 others were injured in a stampede during a political rally led by popular actor Vijay in Tamil Nadu, India.

According to reports from the Associated Press, Reuters, and The New York Times, Tamil Nadu Health Minister Ma Subramanian confirmed that the victims were pronounced dead upon arrival at a local hospital. Among the dead were eight children, and officials warned that the toll could rise further. State Chief Minister M.K. Stalin added that 45 people were admitted to nearby hospitals.

The rally was organized by Vijay, whose full name is Joseph Vijay Chandrasekhar. The 51-year-old actor, one of Tamil Nadu’s most prominent film stars, launched his political party, Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam, in 2024 following the release of his film The Greatest of All Time.

Witnesses reported that Vijay had been addressing the crowd from a makeshift stage atop a bus when the stampede began. The Times noted that as fans and supporters surged forward, many fell, sparking chaos. Tens of thousands of people were estimated to be in attendance.

At the time, temperatures exceeded 90 degrees. Vijay arrived hours late, and Reuters reported that he attempted to toss water bottles into the crowd before the situation escalated. The Press Trust of India said at least 30 people fainted during his speech.

Political rally for Vijay in Tamil Nadu, India, on Sept. 27, 2025. Seshadri Sukumar/ZUMA Press Wire/Shutterstock 

Videos from the rally showed Vijay urging the crowd to make way for ambulances as emergency crews responded. The event was officially called off after the stampede.

“My heart is broken; I am in unbearable, indescribable pain and sorrow,” Vijay said in a statement shared on social media. “I express my deepest sympathies and condolences to the families of my dear brothers and sisters who lost their lives in Karur. I pray for a speedy recovery for those who are undergoing treatment in the hospital.”

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi also reacted to what he called an “unfortunate incident.” In a post on social media, he described it as “deeply saddening” and added, “My thoughts are with the families who have lost their loved ones. Wishing strength to them in this difficult time. Praying for a swift recovery to all those injured.”

Authorities confirmed that an investigation has been launched. Subramanian told local outlets that a commission, headed by retired judge Aruna Jagadeesan, has been appointed to examine the incident and deliver a report to the government.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *