The detention of two Italian citizens at Florida’s controversial new immigration facility—nicknamed “Alligator Alcatraz”—is drawing sharp criticism from Italian lawmakers, who are urging their government to take a stronger stance.
Gaetano Mirabella Costa and Fernando Artese are being held at the recently opened detention center in the Everglades, in what critics describe as “inhuman and degrading” conditions. Laura Boldrini, a member of Italy’s opposition Democratic Party, demanded their repatriation, while Angelo Bonelli of the Green Europe party alleged the men were “locked in cages, denied legal counsel, and deprived of dignity, clean water, and adequate food.”
Former Prime Minister Matteo Renzi also weighed in, accusing Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s government of putting its relationship with Donald Trump ahead of protecting its citizens. “This government defers to Trump instead of defending the rights of Italians abroad,” Renzi said.
Meloni, a far-right leader and one of Trump’s closest European allies, has yet to comment publicly on the case.
Italy’s Foreign Ministry said it has been monitoring the situation and maintaining communication with the detainees’ families. “The Italian Consulate and Embassy are in regular contact with local authorities to gather information on the conditions of detention and possible repatriation timelines,” a spokesperson said.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security confirmed that Costa and Artese are being held at the facility. Florida officials, along with several Republican lawmakers, have rejected reports of poor treatment at the site.
But human rights groups and former staff have painted a different picture. The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida filed a lawsuit last week, alleging detainees have been denied access to legal representation. Detainees also reported unsanitary conditions, with limited drinking and bathing water, leaking tents over chain-link cages, and widespread mosquito infestations.
The Everglades facility, built on the grounds of the little-used Dade-Collier Training and Transition Airport, was launched July 3 as part of a major immigration crackdown under Trump’s renewed mass deportation push. Governor Ron DeSantis spearheaded the facility’s construction, calling it a “makeshift detention site” equipped with tents, guard pods, and generators.
“Under President Trump and Secretary Noem, if you break immigration laws, you will face consequences,” said DHS spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin, referring to Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem. “Criminal illegal aliens are not welcome in the U.S.”
According to DHS, Costa overstayed a B2 tourist visa by nearly seven years, while Artese remained in the U.S. about a decade after entering under the visa waiver program. Both were arrested in connection with alleged criminal activity, though the department did not clarify if either had been convicted.
Despite official assurances, scrutiny continues to mount over the treatment of detainees at the site, with growing calls from both sides of the Atlantic for accountability and transparency.