U.S. President Donald Trump is facing public skepticism over his approach to ending the war between Russia and Ukraine, according to a new national survey.
Polling conducted by YouGov indicates that most Americans are not on board with how Trump is handling the conflict, even as Washington leads a renewed diplomatic push to secure a lasting peace deal between Moscow and Kyiv.
Why It Matters
A key promise of Trump’s 2024 presidential campaign was that he would end the war in Ukraine within 24 hours of taking office. So far, that pledge has not materialized.
Last week, the administration’s 28-point framework for ending the war became public. The plan quickly drew criticism from some lawmakers who argued it was overly generous to Russia, prompting revisions.
Scrutiny intensified after a leaked October call appeared to show Trump’s special envoy, Steve Witkoff, coaching senior Kremlin officials on how to pitch a Russian proposal for ending the conflict to the U.S. president.
What To Know
YouGov’s survey of 4,058 U.S. adults, conducted on November 26, found that 46 percent of respondents disapproved of Trump’s handling of the war, while 36 percent approved. Among those who disapproved, 36 percent said they “strongly” disapproved.
Partisan divisions were stark: 72 percent of Republicans said they approved of Trump’s approach, while 79 percent of Democrats said they disapproved.
In a separate poll from August, 59 percent of U.S. adults said they were not confident that Trump would make “wise decisions” regarding the conflict in Ukraine. That survey was conducted three months before the current peace plan was unveiled.
The 28-point outline released last week proposed that Ukraine relinquish the eastern Donbas region and significantly reduce the size of its military and arsenal to help end the war launched by Russia.
The Kremlin, meanwhile, is insisting that Ukraine remain outside NATO. Negotiators are still revising the plan as both sides attempt to protect their strategic and diplomatic priorities.
What People Are Saying
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, responding to the most recent version of Trump’s peace proposal, said in an address on Tuesday: “The principles in this document can be developed into deeper agreements. And it is in our shared interest that security is real. I count on continued active cooperation with the American side and President Trump. Much depends on the United States because it’s America’s strength that Russia takes most seriously.”
Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov told reporters on Wednesday that Moscow would not entertain major compromises: “There can be no question of any concessions, or any surrender of our approaches to those key points.”
Senator Roger Wicker, the Republican chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee, was also critical, saying in a statement last week: “This so-called ‘peace plan’ has real problems, and I am highly skeptical it will achieve peace.”
Republican Representative Don Bacon of Nebraska wrote on X on Tuesday: “For those who oppose the Russian invasion and want to see Ukraine prevail as a sovereign & democratic country, it is clear that Witkoff fully favors the Russians. He cannot be trusted to lead these negotiations. Would a Russian paid agent do less than he? He should be fired.”
What Happens Next
Witkoff is scheduled to travel to Moscow for talks at the Kremlin next week, as the administration continues its attempt to finalize a deal to end the war.