Image source: Official White House Photo by Joyce N. Boghosian.

Federal Judge Temporarily Blocks Trump-Era Medicaid Ban on Planned Parenthood

Thomas Smith
4 Min Read

A federal judge on Monday issued a temporary halt to a key part of President Donald Trump’s newly signed domestic policy bill, blocking the administration from cutting off Medicaid funding to Planned Parenthood — at least for now.

U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani granted a 14-day temporary restraining order, instructing the Department of Health and Human Services to ensure that Medicaid payments to Planned Parenthood continue uninterrupted. The emergency ruling follows a lawsuit brought by Planned Parenthood and applies exclusively to the organization, not to other healthcare providers.

At the heart of the legal challenge is a provision in the One Big Beautiful Bill Act, which prohibits federal Medicaid dollars from going to any organization “primarily engaged in family planning services, reproductive health, and related medical care” if it provides abortions. While the law doesn’t mention Planned Parenthood by name, the organization contends the measure is a thinly veiled effort to target and punish it for offering abortion services.

“This is a blatant attempt to weaponize government funding to silence and penalize Planned Parenthood,” the lawsuit states, calling the law unconstitutional.

Federal law already bars Medicaid funds from covering abortions except in cases of rape, incest, or when the mother’s life is at risk. However, Planned Parenthood argues the new restriction would severely limit access to non-abortion services — including cancer screenings, STI testing, and routine health care — especially for low-income patients.

According to the organization, more than half of its patients rely on Medicaid, meaning the funding ban could force local affiliates to lay off staff, reduce services, or even close clinics, particularly in rural and underserved communities where few alternatives exist.

“Many Planned Parenthood Members will be required to lay off staff and curtail services,” the lawsuit reads. “Worse still, Members may be forced to shutter a substantial number of their health centers nationwide.”

Planned Parenthood’s national organization, along with affiliates in Massachusetts and Utah, praised the judge’s swift intervention, calling it a critical move to protect access to care.

“We’re grateful the court acted quickly to block this unconstitutional law attacking Planned Parenthood providers and patients,” the organizations said in a joint statement.

The Trump administration, however, stood by the legislation. A White House spokesperson said the provision reflects a “commonsense” policy to prevent federal tax dollars from being used to “fund or promote elective abortion”— a stance the official claimed is supported by most Americans.

Anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America also defended the law and criticized the legal challenge. “Planned Parenthood’s desperation is showing as they run to the courts again to fix a crisis of their own making,” said Katie Daniel, the group’s legal affairs director.

Meanwhile, the legal battle over Medicaid and abortion funding continues to play out across the country. Just last month, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that South Carolina can exclude Planned Parenthood from its Medicaid program, holding that the organization lacks standing to sue under federal civil rights law.

The judge’s order in the current case is temporary, but Planned Parenthood is pushing for a longer-term injunction. A full hearing on the matter is expected within the next two weeks.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *