Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney on Thursday pushed back against U.S. President Donald Trump’s newly announced 35% tariff on Canadian exports, vowing that his government would continue to stand up for Canadian workers and businesses.
The tariffs, set to take effect August 1, were outlined in a letter from Trump to Carney on July 9. Canada is one of more than 20 countries targeted by the former president this week as he moves to impose steep trade penalties, citing what he called unfair trade practices and the continued flow of fentanyl into the U.S.
In a statement posted on X, Carney said Canada has made “vital progress” in curbing fentanyl trafficking in North America and remains committed to working with the U.S. to save lives and protect communities on both sides of the border.
“Throughout the current trade negotiations with the United States, the Canadian government has steadfastly defended our workers and businesses. We will continue to do so as we work towards the revised deadline of August 1,” Carney wrote.
“Canada has made vital progress to stop the scourge of fentanyl in North America. We are committed to continuing to work with the United States to save lives and protect communities in both our countries.”
Carney also emphasized the strength of Canada’s domestic economy, highlighting cooperation between the federal government and provincial leaders.
“We are building Canada strong,” he said. “The federal government, provinces, and territories are making significant progress in building one Canadian economy. We are poised to launch a series of major new projects in the national interest and are strengthening our trading partnerships around the world.”
Trump Justifies Tariff as Part of Broader Crackdown
Trump’s letter to Carney cited Canada’s trade policies and the fentanyl crisis as key reasons for the punitive tariffs. He accused Canada of contributing to what he called an “unsustainable” trade imbalance and failing to do enough to stop fentanyl from reaching U.S. cities.
Earlier this week, Trump extended the tariff deadlines for several countries from July 9 to August 1, allowing more time for negotiations. The tariff on Canada marks one of the most aggressive steps yet in Trump’s renewed “America First” economic strategy as he seeks a return to the White House.
The Carney government, meanwhile, has signaled it is preparing a firm response as talks continue—both to defend Canadian industries and to keep critical cooperation on cross-border issues like drug trafficking intact.