As Prince Andrew and his former wife Sarah Ferguson navigate major shifts in their personal lives following the removal of Andrew’s royal titles and residence, one constant remains: their shared care of Queen Elizabeth’s beloved corgis.
Buckingham Palace confirmed to The Independent on Friday, Oct. 31, that the late Queen’s dogs will continue living with the former couple even after they vacate the Royal Lodge at Windsor.
The pair had shared the sprawling home for many years despite divorcing in 1996. However, it is now expected that Sarah will move into her own residence and begin a more independent chapter.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/royal-corgis-110325-0155ef7410114f26a94e61768b10d80f.jpg)
The Queen’s Loyal Companions
In a palace statement, officials said simply, “The corgis will remain with the family.” The wording leaves open whether the dogs—Muick and Sandy—will live with Andrew, 65, Sarah, 66, or perhaps one of their daughters, Princess Beatrice, 37, or Princess Eugenie, 35.
Sarah and Andrew adopted the corgis after Queen Elizabeth’s death in 2022. The late monarch, an avid animal lover, had more than 30 corgis and “dorgi” mixes throughout her lifetime. Muick and Sandy were the only two to survive her and were seen at her funeral on Sept. 19, 2022.
Last month, Sarah honored the Queen on the third anniversary of her death by sharing a photo of the dogs on Instagram.
“Her Majesty will be forever loved, always missed, and never forgotten,” she wrote. “Caring for Her Majesty’s beloved corgis is an honor and a daily reminder of the times we shared together.”
In a March 2023 interview, Sarah spoke about taking in the dogs:
“They are national icons, so every time they run chasing a squirrel, I panic,” she joked. “But they’re total joys, and I always think that when they bark at nothing, and there’s no squirrels in sight, it’s because the Queen is passing by.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(919x601:921x603):format(webp)/Sarah-Ferguson-and-corgis-101522-02-6a0cca37ddb74e6c809ad5dd69570fec.jpg)
Shifts in Royal Standing
On Oct. 30, Buckingham Palace confirmed that King Charles had formally removed Andrew’s royal titles. He will no longer be a prince or use the style “His Royal Highness,” and he must surrender his lease on the Royal Lodge. Instead, he will move into a yet-unnamed property on the royal family’s private Sandringham estate.
The following day, a source said that Ferguson would not join her ex-husband at his new home. “She is going to be moving out and into a separate home,” the source said. “Contrary to reports, she has never asked for a property or any provision for herself. She will continue to forge an independent life.”
Renewed Scrutiny over Epstein Ties
These developments come as renewed attention falls on Andrew and Sarah’s past connections to the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Recently, The Mail on Sunday and The Sun on Sunday published two 2011 emails—one from Andrew and one from Sarah—addressed to Epstein.
Andrew’s message, written the day The Mail on Sunday ran the now-infamous photo of him with Virginia Giuffre (who accused him of sexual assault), read in part:
“I’m just as concerned for you! Don’t worry about me! It would seem we are in this together and will have to rise above it. Otherwise, keep in close touch, and we’ll play some more soon!!!!”
He signed off as “A, HRH The Duke of York, KG.” The message appeared to contradict his prior public claims that he had severed ties with Epstein in 2010.
Sarah’s email to Epstein, sent around the same time, apologized for her remarks in a March 2011 Evening Standard interview where she called accepting money from him a “terrible, terrible error of judgment.” In her message, she described Epstein as a “steadfast, generous and supreme friend” and wrote, “As you know, I did not, absolutely not, say the P [pedophile] word about you… I must humbly apologize to you and your heart for that.”
The Palace’s statement announcing Andrew’s title removal concluded pointedly:
“Their Majesties wish to make clear that their thoughts and utmost sympathies have been, and will remain with, the victims and survivors of any and all forms of abuse,” referring to King Charles and Queen Camilla.