President Donald Trump said in a recent Fox News interview that his administration is exploring the creation of temporary work permits for undocumented immigrants in industries like agriculture—a notable shift in his approach to immigration enforcement.
“We’re working on it right now,” Trump said during an interview that aired Sunday on Sunday Morning Futures. “We’re looking at a temporary pass where people pay taxes, and farmers can have a little control, rather than just showing up and taking everybody away.”
Trump described scenarios in which longtime farmworkers—some on the job for 15 to 20 years—are removed by authorities. “They’re good people. They may have come in the wrong way, but they’ve worked hard,” he said. “You end up destroying a farm because you took all the people away. It’s a problem.”
The idea, Trump added, is to let farmers help determine who works for them. “The farmer knows. He’s not going to hire a murderer,” Trump said.
A spokesperson for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) did not confirm or expand on the president’s comments but repeated a statement previously issued when the administration reversed a pause on worksite immigration raids:
“The President has been incredibly clear. There will be no safe spaces for industries who harbor violent criminals or purposely try to undermine ICE’s efforts.”
The statement emphasized that worksite enforcement is a core tool for maintaining public safety, national security, and labor market integrity, and that operations target illegal employment networks.
The White House did not immediately clarify whether the president’s temporary pass proposal aligns with DHS’s current enforcement posture.
This proposal marks the latest twist in the Trump administration’s evolving stance on undocumented workers in sectors like farming, hospitality, and food service. In early June, Trump posted on Truth Social that farmers and hospitality industry leaders were concerned that “very good, long-time workers” were being removed under current immigration enforcement. He promised that “changes are coming” and stressed: “We must protect our Farmers.”
Around that time, NBC News reported that ICE had paused worksite enforcement operations in industries such as agriculture, restaurants, and hotels. However, just days later, the administration resumed those arrests. DHS spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin reiterated at that time that enforcement remains a priority and that the agency targets employers “who purposely try to undermine ICE’s efforts.”
The White House later confirmed that anyone in the U.S. without legal status remains at risk of deportation, despite the earlier pause.
Back in April, Trump had suggested that undocumented workers in key industries might be allowed to leave the country and re-enter legally under revised rules. NBC News reported that an administration official said Trump wanted to improve the H-2A and H-2B visa programs, which allow U.S. employers to hire foreign nationals for seasonal or temporary work.
As Trump pushes forward with his 2025 legislative agenda and reelection bid, the issue of labor shortages and immigration enforcement appears to be a key tension point—especially among agricultural employers who rely on undocumented workers.