President Donald Trump; White House. Credit : Anna Moneymaker/Getty; Graeme Sloan/Bloomberg via Getty

White House Finally Admits the Roosevelt-Era East Wing Is Being Demolished, Despite Trump’s Promises: Report

Thomas Smith
4 Min Read

President Donald Trump is overseeing the demolition of part of the White House to construct a grand new ballroom — despite his earlier promise that the historic East Wing would remain untouched.

According to a Wednesday, Oct. 22 report from The New York Times, a senior official confirmed that the East Wing is being torn down, with construction expected to finish by the end of this week.

White House spokesman Davis Ingle said, “President Trump is working 24/7 to Make America Great Again, including his historic beautification of the White House, at no taxpayer expense. These long-needed upgrades will benefit generations of future presidents and American visitors to the People’s House.”

The new ballroom, estimated at $200 million, will replace the East Wing entirely, The Times reported.

Since 1977, the East Wing has housed the office of the first lady and the social secretary — a tradition begun by Rosalynn Carter. Eleanor Roosevelt also used the wing extensively during her husband’s administration as she helped define the modern role of the first lady.

Among the East Wing’s many historic moments was former First Lady Laura Bush’s 2007 meeting with Ibrahim Gambari, the United Nations Special Advisor on Burma.

Heavy machinery tears down a section of the East Wing of the White House, October 2025. PEDRO UGARTE/AFP via Getty

On Tuesday, Oct. 21, former First Lady Hillary Clinton criticized Trump, 79, for “erasing history and the long-standing tradition” tied to the East Wing. “It’s not his house. It’s your house. And he’s destroying it,” the 77-year-old wrote on X, sharing a screenshot of news coverage showing a bulldozer tearing into the presidential residence — home to every U.S. president since John Adams in 1800.

The East Wing itself dates back to 1942, when it was built under President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration.

Just one day before Clinton’s remarks, Trump announced on Truth Social that construction had officially begun. “For more than 150 years, every President has dreamt about having a Ballroom at the White House to accommodate people for grand parties, State Visits, etc. I am honored to be the first President to finally get this much-needed project underway — with zero cost to the American Taxpayer,” he wrote on Oct. 20.

President Donald Trump holds a rendering of the planned White House ballroom. Aaron Schwartz/CNP/Bloomberg via Getty

Trump had previously insisted that his ballroom plans would not alter the East Wing. “It’ll be views of the Washington Monument. It won’t interfere with the current building. It’ll be near it but not touching it,” he said, according to The Times. “And pays total respect to the existing building, which I’m the biggest fan of.”

Renderings of the project depict gold chandeliers, an ornate coffered ceiling, Greek Corinthian columns, and tall arched windows on every wall — a lavish new addition replacing the space that once housed generations of first ladies.

During the ongoing demolition, First Lady Melania Trump and her staff have been temporarily relocated from the East Wing.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *