Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

Donald Trump Handed Big Legal Win in Georgia 

Thomas Smith
4 Min Read

A judge in Georgia has thrown out three charges against U.S. President Donald Trump in the state’s criminal case tied to his efforts to challenge the 2020 presidential election results.

On Friday, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee issued a brief, one-page order dismissing three counts against Trump, after previously dismissing two other counts in September.

The Georgia case centers on accusations that Trump and his co-defendants broke state law while attempting to overturn the 2020 election outcome there.


Why It Matters

The latest dismissals come as the case faces a key transition: a new prosecutor has just been appointed after Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis was removed from overseeing the prosecution. While legal proceedings against Trump himself are unlikely to move forward while he remains in the White House, the case may still continue against 14 remaining defendants.


What To Know

McAfee’s ruling affects Trump and several other defendants who were charged under Georgia’s racketeering law, accused of participating in an unlawful scheme to undermine President Joe Biden’s victory in the state.

The counts that were dropped—14, 15 and 27—were listed in the order as: criminal attempt to commit false statements and writings, conspiracy to commit filing false documents, and filing false documents.

In August 2023, Trump and a number of his allies, including former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, were indicted over allegations that they illegally tried to overturn Biden’s 2020 win in Georgia. Trump initially faced 13 charges, including a violation of the state’s Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act, and has consistently denied any wrongdoing.

McAfee had previously warned that the entire case could be dismissed if a new prosecutor was not appointed following Willis’ disqualification in December, after allegations surfaced that she had been in a relationship with special prosecutor Nathan Wade.

On Friday, the nonpartisan Prosecuting Attorneys’ Council of Georgia announced that its executive director, Pete Skandalakis, would personally take over the case.

Earlier this week, Trump issued pardons for individuals accused of supporting his efforts to overturn the 2020 election, but Skandalakis said those pardons would not affect the state-level charges at issue in Georgia.

McAfee has already dismissed several counts against Trump and his co-defendants in prior rulings, including at least three charges that applied directly to Trump.


What People Are Saying

Pete Skandalakis said in a statement on Friday morning:
“I am keenly aware that this matter has been of significant public interest since January 2021, when District Attorney Fani Willis announced the initiation of the investigation. My only objective is to ensure that this case is handled properly, fairly, and with full transparency, discharging my duties without fear, favor, or affection.”

Trump attorney Steve Sadow responded in a statement on Friday:
“This politically charged prosecution has to come to an end. We remain confident that a fair and impartial review will lead to a dismissal of the case against President Trump.”

In his pardon proclamation on Sunday, Trump declared:
“I, DONALD J. TRUMP, do hereby grant a full, complete, and unconditional pardon to all United States citizens for conduct relating to the advice, creation, organization, execution, submission, support, voting, activities in, or advocacy for or of any slate of presidential electors … in connection with the 2020 Presidential Election.”


What’s Next

The state case is expected to move forward in early December with a status hearing, where the court will review the posture of the prosecution and discuss next steps.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *